gap polo Fire burns 4 homes in Halifax neighbourhood
and spread through four attached condominium units just off Parkland Drive, burning out the roofs of at least three of them, said Corey Beals, a division commander with Halifax Fire.
“The crews are still conducting overhaul and checking for hotspots,” he told CBC News.
He said no one was injured in the blaze.
Firefighters dousing the roof of a home with water. (Steve Berry/CBC)
Sarah Thomson lives near the homes that caught on fire. She and her mother made it outside safely and could see smoke and flames.
“With the wind coming, it spread it to the house next to it. And then a loud sound, a big flash of flames. I think it was their barbecue, probably their propane tank and it just went up in flames. It was very hot,” said Thomson.
“I’m happy that everyone is out of the houses, they manage to get everyone out of them. We got a few pets got left behind in some of the houses that we’re worried for but everyone seems to be fine.”
Sarah Thomson says she and her mother made it out of the townhouse safely. (Steve Berry/CBC)
Hussin Ketout said his daughter called 911 after spotting smoke at the neighbour’s house. He rents his home and doesn’t how badly damaged it is. (Steve Berry/CBC)
Hussin Ketout said he and his family were about to go to the waterfront when his daughter saw the fire at the neighbour’s place.
“My daughter called 911. We didn’t have any time to stay at home because the smoke started inside. We went outside without our shoes on, just running, and after that the police arrived with the fire trucks,” said Ketout.